May. 08, 2019
2017 NFL Mock Draft 1
A new season is upon us and here we are to see what players could be chosen in my first one round mock draft. I will continue this for the next three weeks until the 2017 NFL Draft has completed, so here we go.
1. Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett - DL - Texas A&M
Easily the best player in the entire Draft, Cleveland would have to be run by idiots if they didn't use the first overall pick on this dominant defensive end.
2. San Francisco 49ers - Solomon Thomas - DL - Stanford
Thomas travels a whole thirteen miles to play in Levi's Stadium for the woeful 49ers who are hoping to obtain a dominant defensive player.
3. Chicago Bears - Malik Hooker - S - Ohio St.
While a raw, unexperienced player, Hooker has a tremendous upside and could elevate Chicago's defense to a whole new level as they prepare to rebuild.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars - Leonard Fournette - RB - LSU
Jacksoville was abysmal running the football in 2016 and those struggles trickled down to Bortles, who had a disappointing year. Fournette is a beast who can eat defensive players for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and if he excels, Bortles can elevate his game.
5. Tennessee Titans - Marshon Lattimore - CB - Ohio St.
Dick LeBeau grabs a corner with explosive athleticism that can give the Titans a nice boost to their ailing defense and put the pieces together for a possible Divisional Title.
6. New York Jets - Mitchell Trubisky - QB - North Carolina
The first quarterback is off the board and he's heading to the Big Apple. With receivers like Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa, Trubisky can have the weapons to possibly make the Jets a threat to the Wildcard seeds.
7. Los Angeles Chargers - Jonathan Allen - DL - Alabama
What a way to start your new campaign in a new city. The Chargers grab a dominant D-lineman in Allen and will pair him with last year's first round pick, Joey Bosa.
8. Carolina Panthers - Christian McCaffrey - RB - Stanford
With Jonathan Stewart getting up in age, the Panthers grab McCaffrey to hopefully
relieve the battered Cam Newton and focus on a ground and pound system for 2017.
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Taco Charlton - DL - Michigan
The Bengals hurried to grab this defensive lineman off the board to boost their defense some more.
10. Buffalo Bills - Jamal Adams - S - LSU
Having to play Tom Brady twice a year demands a hard-hitter in your secondary and Jamal Adams is that kind of player.
11. New Orleans Saints - Reuben Foster - LB - Alabama
Another player who isn't traveling too far, Foster can assist a bad defense become an average defense, making games less of a shootout, and more of a blowout for Drew Brees and company.
12. Cleveland Browns - Deshaun Watson - QB - Clemson
Brock Osweiler won't even see his Browns jersey in 2017 as Cleveland grabs yet another QB to hopefully end the trouble behind center.
13. Arizona Cardinals - David Njoku - TE - Miami
Arizona grabs an elite athlete to help spring David Johnson to the outside and catch Carson Palmer's limited remaining passes.
14. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Williams - WR - Clemson
What is with Clemson and having incredible wide receivers? Yeah, the Eagles have Alshon Jeffrey, but he's a bit questionable at the moment, so they couldn't pass up on Williams.
15. Indianapolis Colts - Dalvin Cook - RB - Florida St.
Frank Gore could meld this guy into a fantastic running back and keep his off-the-field troubles in check. The Colts could have their running back of the future with him.
16. Baltimore Ravens - Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan
Joe Flacco needs someone to throw it to and Steve Smith, Sr. is too damn old now. Davis provides the Ravens with a tall, physical receiver who can score.
17. Washington Redskins - Zach Cunningham - LB - Vanderbilt
Washington grabs a sturdy linebacker who can dominate the middle of the field and shoot up the middle for tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
18. Tennessee Titans - Jabrill Peppers - LB/S - Michigan
LeBeau possibly grabs another Troy Polamalu? We'll have to see, but Peppers is a diverse player who can make plays all over the field on defense and on offense.
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Haason Reddick - DL - Temple
Tampa grabs another defensive stalwart to elevate the team into a possible playoff contender.
20. Denver Broncos - Ryan Ramczyk - OL - Wisconsin
Denver needs help along the offensive line and Ramczyk provides this. Could Denver make a run for the playoffs again? Eh, I don't know, but this pick helps.
21. Detroit Lions - Malik McDowell - DL - Michigan St.
No one other than Lions fans had Detroit in the playoffs in 2016, but they made it through determination rather than pure skill. McDowell provides a pass rusher who can eat blocks and spring Ezekiel Ansah away from being double teamed.
22. Miami Dolphins - Marlon Humphrey - CB - Alabama
Humphrey is a tough coverage man who can beat up receivers and give the Dolphins a nice edge.
23. New York Giants - Alvin Kamara - RB - Tennessee
New York hasn't had a good running game in a while and Kamara is an enigma, but could give the Giants a nice boost.
24. Oakland Raiders - Jarrad Davis - LB - Florida
This team's defense is just getting scarier. As long as Carr doesn't break down at the end again, the Raiders could threaten the Patriots AFC dominance.
25. Houston Texans - DeShone Kizer - QB - Notre Dame
The Osweiler experiment failed miserably, but the Texans still made the Playoffs thanks to a weak division and good defense. Kizer won't start right out of the gate, but he has upside.
26. Seattle Seahawks - Forrest Lamp - OL - Western Kentucky
Seattle is another team that desperately needs offensive line help and grabs Lamp to light it up on the O-Line.
27. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Anderson - LB - Alabama
Anderson is a disciplined, competitive play maker who is a safe pick for the consistent Chiefs to make.
28. Dallas Cowboys - Sidney Jones - CB - Washington
Dallas made a name for themselves last year in picking good players who were unfortunately injured before the draft and Jones could make a great replacement for Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr.
29. Green Bay Packers - T.J. Watt - LB - Wisconsin
Imagine if T.J. was just as good as J.J. The Packers are sure hoping for that as they grab him off the board.
30. Pittsburgh Steelers - Patrick Mahomes - QB - Texas Tech
Despite the need on defense, the 2017 class has a lot of defensive depth and the Steelers need to look for Roethlisberger's replacement with all of his retirement talk. Big Ben can meld this unconventional passer into an NFL great.
31. Atlanta Falcons - Takkarist McKinley - DL - UCLA
The Falcons need to improve on defense and avoid what happened to the Panthers in 2016 after their disappointing collapse in Super Bowl LI.
32. New Orleans Saints - Tre'Davious White - CB - LSU
New Orleans continues improving their defense for the better in preparation for the future after Brees retires. A good defense can help a rookie and/or inexperienced quarterback loads. Just ask Tom Brady and Big Ben.